Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Moving Day

I moved out of my office today (many thanks to my prince for rescuing me and loading all my stuff!). I'm finished there for now. I'm hopeful that I'll get to teach there again this fall--even if it is just one class. I've been very blessed to be there for the past nearly 6 years--longer than anywhere I've EVER worked! :) It was home to me. Comfortable. Familiar. Fun. Challenging. Exciting. My ministry. I love working with college students. I love building relationships. I love sharing my life with them. I love being able to speak hope, encouragement and the importance and value they have.
Yesterday a dear student--and friend--said the sweetest things to me. She encouraged me to love on my family during the next month (at least) off and enjoy the time. She also paid me the best compliment. "I never thought that I would have a professor that would be so concerned about my life. I consider you to be a wonderful teacher and a great friend. Thank you." I was touched.
I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye to anyone in my department today--only I'll see you in a few weeks. My Aunt has been my "boss" (though not technically :) )--the head of the department that I taught in for the past six years. From the outset we decided that we were family above anything else and that when the job ended (it was a grant based position and I always knew there would be an end) we still wanted to be related! :) It's been a joy to work with her day in and day out and ENJOY her. Be proud of her. Learn tremendously from her. Be challenged by her.
A favorite memory --I can still see my Grandma's (My aunts mom) smiling face looking back at me. She would come to pick up my little guys (they were 3 and 4!) from the childcare center next door and would stand in the glass of the door and smile until my students would say, "Ahem, Elisha, you're grandma is here". No matter what was happening. We all knew that on Tuesday's at 12:15 Grandma would be stopping in! I loved it! :)
I loved it!

No comments: