Thursday, January 22, 2009

Heroes

Oh, it's Thursday--the week is nearly gone. Our crazy week of snow days and delays last week has thrown me off of my routine! (Doesn't take much!)My prince has been in Las Vegas since Monday night. Actually it's been a better week without him than past weeks without him...it hasn't really been that bad. (knock, knock, knock!) Not that we aren't missing him, because we definitely are. Just that we haven't had any REAL excitement. The boys have been fun. We've enjoyed our time together and today they even took care of me (as requested by my prince!)--they TOOK OUT THE TRASH! I mentioned that it was trash day and without complaining...they each grabbed a bag and out the door they went. I SO wish I would have captured it on camera. Those sweet faces glowing, bundled up, arms full with bags and recyclables on their way to the curb. Oh, melt my heart! Those guys are going to be awesome husbands and dads someday! My heroes.
Speaking of heroes. Last night I was working on homework with the guys and Evan had to fill out a sheet that looked like a medal--naming his hero and then writing why. It had cut-around marks so you could cut it out and give it to someone if you wanted. I asked him who he'd like to write about. He looked at me funny and said, "I don't know!" (He HATES doing any sort of homework...it's SO a waste of his time :))So I said, "Well what about Dad, Grandpa, Papa?" He said, "No, the person that I would give it to is dead and it's not like I can give it to em' now." So, I'm racking my brain trying to think of who it could be that he's thinking of..."Grandma?" "No", he says. "Oh, I know, Elvis, right?" (He has this thing for the king!) He grins this precious grin and says, "You are a silly, silly girl. Why would you think I would pick HIM as my hero!?" (I nearly died laughing--his speech is still developing and the /s/ sound is one of the sounds and the word "girl" has to be one of my FAVORITE words that he says--/gu-url/--SO SWEET!) "No," he says, I woulda picked that guy that gave us school out yesterday, oh, what's his name?" I say, "Oh! Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?" "Yeah," he says! "Sweetie, why would you pick him?", I ask. "Because he helped the black people be able to go to better schools and stuff. Why do they say black people anyway? They're just brown, like really dark tan. They're not black. Kiera (our dog) is black!". So, that's who he wrote about. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who helped the black people. (He debated on the color word to choose here for a minute but decided that black was what he should do because that is what "they say"). I love it that he has heroes. I think that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is a fine hero and very appropo this week--but most of all, I think Evan might be MY hero. Researchers have predicted that THIS generation of children are going to be THE generation to see people, not "color groups". I love that about my boy...he's wondering what the big fuss is about...people are people and not colors, anyway.

No comments: