Saturday, August 21, 2010

Casting

So Wednesday on my way home from work Boy Wonder called me.
"Mom, I'm scared. I just keep thinking about what happened last time at the dentist and I'm afraid it's going to happen again."
"I know buddy. Have you prayed about your memories and asked God to take the bad memories from you?"
"Huh? No."
"You can you know. You can ask God to take them from you...remember the verse, 'Cast all your cares upon Him?' What does that mean?"
"Cast, like fishing, cast? That's when you throw your line out into the water with bait on your hook and you wait for the fish to take it."
quiet
"Oh, so God is like that legendary fish that everyone has stories about? I put my worry (bait) on the hook and throw it out there and God (the big fish) swims up, grabs it and swims away with it forever? I don't get it back either."
"Yep, just like it. Can I pray for you?"
"Sure, right now, please."
I pray
"Ok, let's test it Mom talk to me about Friday"
"Hey, where are you going on Friday? Is it going to hurt?"
giggle and then belly laughter
"No way, that's SO cool. BEFORE when I thought about Friday my stomach hurt and I got nervous, but when you just said that I wasn't nervous and my stomach doesn't hurt at all...Wow!"

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:7

Epilogue:
Friday's appt. was great. The Dr. was great. Brennan was brave (and bolstered by the accompaniment of his trusty blankee! Imagine nearly 12 year old with blankee in arms in dentist chair...so sweet and at peace). Laughing gas was turned on. Boy relaxed. Boy's arms and feet went numb. Boy was intrigued by said numbness. Boy proceeds to be VERY entertaining to observe as he claps, wiggles legs and tongue and enjoys the numbing. (The dr. was entertained by his obvious enjoyment also!). The tooth was out with no issue. We made an appointment for a follow up in 3 weeks. He DOES care for us! Thank you, God!

No comments: