Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Pitcher



A while ago I read a post on Angie Smith's blog, "The past and the pitcher"? Where she told about smashing a pitcher and then put it back together allowing God to talk to her about her life. Well one of my sweet Chrysalis friends (Thank you, Karen!) provided me with a sweet little pitcher this weekend and I knew exactly what she was thinking...one for ME to break...as I'd said I wanted to at the team meeting that day. (I've been looking for an appropriate pitcher all summer and all were too large for my project). Tonight I went to the store and purchased TWO tubes of superglue to begin my pitcher project. When I got home I had some curious bystanders as they are all about destruction of things they were even more curious when I told them what I was going to do. We wrapped the pitcher in a bag and went to the porch. I dropped it from waist high and k'bam! It broke! :) The boys were amazed that I was actually breaking something on purpose I think. Then we took it inside and spread the broken pieces of the pitcher on the table to see what we might be able to do with it. I told the boys that I was going to ask God to speak to me about my life pieces and see what He told me. So, they started matching pieces and handing them to me. It was really interesting as I picked up the pieces and began gluing them. Some didn't stick right away. Some didn't fit. Some I left out and then realized that I was going to have to hammer them (lightly, of course) into their spot. One of the pieces I put in and the others around it fell down...whoa. The super glue oozed all over. My fingers were sticky and at one point the super glue tube got a hole in it and my thumb went completely through the tube...immersed in glue. Yuck! As I put the pitcher together the boys chatted and at one point they stopped and said, "So Mom, what's He saying to you?"...it happened to be when I was putting this one really tricky piece in and I said, "I don't know just listen." Then I stopped and smiled to myself. "Ok, I will, God.", I said. He told me some really special things and some that I'm still processing. The coolest was when I turned the pitcher over though to see the other side as I was feeling pretty confident that I'd done it...it was back to being a complete vessel. You have to see it for yourself. I'd forgotten that there were some shreds of pottery still lying in the bottom of the bag that are too small to put together, like they didn't matter. They do matter. They're the ones that will make my pitcher complete and I can't do that...only He can. I put them in the bottom to remind me of that lesson. How cool is that!!




1 comment:

Joseph Weed said...

What a neat thing to do, and what a lesson to be learned!

Thanks for visiting my blog today. And also for the advice on excema, I will try that product and see how it works for me!

Please do come and visit my blog again.

Blessings, Sarah :)