Friday, June 20, 2008

Games







Take Me Home from the Ballgame....I mean...Well...we're playing baseball-ELEVEN games from last Saturday to this Saturday. I've got bleacher bum! All the rain earlier in the season has caught up with us this week. It's been almost 11 o'clock every night when we've gotten home. I'm too old for this late night shananigans!
We've resorted to bribery for Uno and Tres to bat. Tres is still recovering from his post-traumatic stress discorder related to the ball bouncing up and whacking him in the teeth and the pitcher (coach) hitting him in the back. $3 for each hit seems to be the right medicine for him though....he's even gotten his Granny to DOUBLE my money and the kid is going to be taking US out to dinner after his next game, I hope!
Uno is in Midget League where the kids pitch for the first time (SO painful to watch!), so there's been lots of walking (either from "balls" or from being hit by the pitcher, but Shh...don't tell that to Tres!) or strike outs. These games are L-O-N-G! Anyway, Uno was whining yesterday about my $ deal with Tres and said that he "thought it would help him if I'd put a little bribe behind his batting"--so I did and wouldn't you know LAST NIGHT for the first time ALL season (and we've played a lot of games!) the boy got two singles! (Which in this league practically equals a home run in amazement!) The second single he kept on running like Forrest Gump and then he got into a tagging match at home with the catcher (who actually CAUGHT the ball! Woo!) and stepped out of the baseline and was automatically out. Ouch! A hard lesson to learn...but one he won't be repeating, I'm sure. He was sad but afterwards he said, "Hey, look at the bright side I still made 10 bucks!". Yes, I'm up for Mother of the Year again, you can send my nominations in this weekend! :) I've resorted to bribery and by golly it works! (My education professors are rolling their eyes and shushing me right now, I'm sure!). Dos is Steady-Eddy...batting and running like a pro. He's taken a liking to being the "volunteer" and hanging in the dugout while his team plays so they don't have too many players on the field. He doesn't really enjoy fielding unless he gets to be the catcher so he's happy to sit on the bench and watch. What a guy! :)
Last Friday we were able to go to the Reds game in Cincy to see the Reds vs. the Red Sox. We were kind of schizophrenic as we watched cheering for the Reds AND the Red Sox as our family friend, Justin Masterson, pitched for Boston. He's an Ohio native from Beavercreek and a Missionary Church Camp friend and a great guy. My boys love to follow him and we were thrilled to be able to go see him pitch in Cincy. Uno went with us and we had a great time. It was fun to just have "one" kiddo for a bit and enjoy him. My sister, Erin, went with us to the game (her boss bought us tickets!!) and that was lots of fun to see her and hang out in "her town" too.
We have a game tonight and two tomorrow. Tournaments start on Monday and then...well...it's the end of the ballgame! :) WooHoo!


No comments: