Occasionally, I'll ask the Lord to play a game with me...a listening game. It is my hearts desire to truly know His voice and to be able to do what He asks. So about seven years ago, He started this game. From time to time we play again. It's very fun.
Friday, on the way to Aidan's tutoring session, I was in the mood for adventure and so I asked if we could play again. We were going a different way to the highway than I usually go (from Ludlow Falls), so I didn't really have a set path. Aidan was in the car, so I decided to let him in on our game. I explained, "Sometimes I ask the Lord to play a speaking/listening game with me. He speaks and tells me what to do and I do it. I've always ended up right where I'm supposed to be, and it's lots of fun. Wanta try it with me now?" He said, "Sure." (Have I mentioned he's a man of few words? ;) ) So I prayed aloud, "Lord, Aidan and I would like to hear your voice and have you practice with us through the game today. Could you lead us on an adventure on our way to tutoring today (we had some extra time) and take us to a garage sale, on our way?" I paused and looked over at my boy. I said, "What are we looking for at a garage sale today?" He shrugged and said, "Um, I need school clothes." Ok. Then we would like to find a garage sale, then. And on we drove. We went about 20 minutes and I saw a garage sale sign on the right hand side but I was in the middle lane and hadn't heard the Lord say anything, so I kept driving. Then I heard him nudge and say, "Get over and turn right at the next street."
So I told Aidan what I'd heard and asked him if he'd heard anything and he just looked at me like I was from another planet. I turned right and drove. About a mile up the street, I heard him say, "Turn right up at the next street" and just then I saw a garage sale sign. It was kind of in a weird spot and I didn't see the address, so I turned and looked at Aidan and said, "Are we on the right road?" and he shrugged and said, "Yeah." I stopped at the first stop sign and looked at him. Nothing. So I went on. Next stop sign I had to turn left or right. I heard Him say to go left, but I wanted to know if Aidan was playing too. So I asked him. I said, "I heard to turn left here, how about you?" He grinned and said, "Yep, left". I was encouraged that he might actually be playing and not just thinking I was nutso. The next stop sign I looked at him and he motioned to the right. There were NO signs anywhere, just us listening and wondering where on earth we were going. Two more turns and I was beginning to doubt. Then up on the right, there it was. A garage sale. We pulled past it and Aidan looked and said, "It doesn't look there's anything good here, Mom. I'm not getting out." I grinned and said, "Dude, we are playing a game. You can't quit now. Let's go." So he got out of the car and we went up to the garage. We looked around. I had to agree. It looked like girl stuff mostly--and not anything we needed. We were about to walk out and there was one table at the front full of clothes. I picked up a shirt and noticed that under it were Abercrombie and Fitch Polo shirts--nice ones in all of his favorite colors. I held one up to get his attention and he grinned this HUGE grin. I said, "Do you like these for school?" and he said, "Yeah, it's pretty much all I wear." "What are your favorite colors?" "Brown, Blue and Green" There were three shirts there. Brown. Blue. Green. I breathed a big "thank you" to heaven and said, "How much do you think they are?" and he said, "Probably $3 each. I don't need all of them, Mom." So we walked up to pay and the guy said, "That will be $1.50".
We were walking away from the sale with his 3 shirts and he said, "That's a really cool game, Mom. Do you think He knows how to get out of here, now?"

No comments:
Post a Comment