Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Left or Right?



So the "Listening Game" that I played last Friday with the intentions of modeling how I've learned to listen to His voice for my boy....yeah, today I'm not thinking that it was so much for his benefit, but for mine.
I thought I was dialed into what His plans were for me in the job arena. My job of the past 18 months ended in June of this year when the grant funds dried up. This summer, I've rested knowing that He has a plan for me and that I'd be confident in whatever it was because I'd know it was His will for me. That part hasn't changed.
I've had little exercises in listening all summer where I'd feel a nudge to look on the job board and there would be a new posting. I'd ask if I was supposed to apply and then do what He said. I've applied for 6 positions--all but one were at the same place. I've had three interviews. I was pretty sure that He was leading me to the place where I've been, just in a different capacity.
Then last night I got a call from a dear friend of mine that I used to work with. I was about to peruse Goodwill with my teenager when my phone rang and I saw it was her. I almost didn't answer because we were going to exit the car, but my finger hit the answer button, so it was too late.
I sat in the car and chatted with her, sending my kid inside to shop alone. She asked about my job search and what I was up to. I told her about my search and my contentment to wait and see what unfolded. Then she told me about what she's been thinking and how her plans would ideally include me. Whoa. Wow. Wait a minute. Would I be interested? I told her that I'm definitely interested in pursuing the option. That I'd continue to walk and listen. When I talked to Shawn at bedtime last night and caught him up, he said, "So this would be your dream job?". Uhh, I don't know. I don't really know what that is. Then he said, "Is this the next step on your Career Path?" I died laughing. How can I possibly know what is on my "Career Path"?

Psalm 119:105

Contemporary English Version (CEV)
Your word is a lamp
that gives light
wherever I walk.

Last night I woke up and heard in the darkness that I wasn't to accept anything that was offered to me today. I went to the 2nd interview this morning and was met with a job offer...one that 24 hours ago I thought I would accept. I respectfully asked that I be allowed until Thursday morning to make the decision. That was weird for them and for me, but I knew I was being obedient.
So now, that's where I am. Listening. Left or Right, Lord?

No comments: