His message...God still speaks to us today. God is not done speaking. Yes, the Bible is God's word and is amazing and life transforming, but He's not finished. He's still speaking and teaching and training if we're listening.
I sat in the row--the Hicks Six-- in the sweating-hot-tabernacle on a hard wooden bench in the 90+ mugginess and held the hand of my 11 year old while he listened intently, and watched the faces of my other 3 as they learned.
God still speaks. God wants to speak to you. God speaks to kids, especially.
He told stories. He read scripture. He was practical.
I was giddy at His message, because I know it's true. I'm learning it too.
I want my kids to grow up knowing the voice of the Holy Spirit. But more than me...He does.
I want them to hear His voice and know it's Him and obey. But more than me...He does.
I want them to ride in the roller coaster of life WITH Him. But more than me...He does.
I want them to choose, even now, that God's ways are more exciting than anything they could ever conjure up. But more than me...He does.
And today they heard someone else share how to hear, how to practice and how to live it.
I happened upon a John Eldredge book last week at Ollie's that I grabbed for a friend who I've been talking about this very subject with. It's called, Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really. I started reading it and was so excited. It's practical with lots of experiences from his own life. As I read, I thought, I would like to have my boy #1 read this. Imagining how life might've been different for me if I'd heard Him then when I was his age. How cool would that be?!
On the way to lunch today we talked about the message and I asked the kids what they thought. They were each impressed. Boy #1 said, "I liked that he just talked and I could understand him. He is a good speaker for kids. He didn't use big words or stuff."
We need more of that, I think.
I've gotta get back to Ollie's and buy more copies of that book!
No comments:
Post a Comment