Tuesday Chasity hit a rough spot at school and the teacher emailed and said that she'd refused to do her school work or go to her special reading class. Acccording to the teacher this was the first time they've ever had her actually refuse to do anything. We're thinking that she's probably just testing out the waters for a bit--and with all the change happening in her life, who can blame her. Shawn was able to go in after school and talk with her and then take her to apologize to the reading teacher. That night when I prayed with her she told God that she was sorry for the way she behaved in reading (without any prompting from me!) and that she was glad that Mrs. Pitts still loved her! :) She is very tenderhearted and eager to do well, but I imagine that it's hard to be tenderhearted and protective at the same time! I had made a deal with her that if she woke up with a happy face (a challenge!) and didn't complain before school about taking a bath or getting dressed or eating breakfast that I would have a surprise for her after school. She agreed to the deal and kept asking me to tell her about the surprise. Umm, no...not telling!
Wednesday she woke up with the biggest smile on her face! AND she had a much better day at school. I had asked her in the morning if she'd like to go and visit mom after school that day and she cheered! So when I picked her up from school I told her that we were going to run an errand at Job and Family Services (picking up medical application for much-needed medical coverage for her) and then we would go to the hospital to visit Mom. She said she was excited and that she was STARVING! So we stopped at the gas station and bought a quick snack and then ran to Job and Family Services. She ate the whole way and chatted. When we got to Job and Family Services we talked to the lady there who was unusually helpful ( :) Thank you, God!) and Chasity told me that she was scared because her dad is in jail and this place kind of looked like jail (there are bars on the windows at the information desks!) and she was afraid that I was going to leave her there. I assured her that I wasn't going to leave her there and held her hand...so then I filled out paperwork one-handed. She finally went over to sit down in the chair in the waiting area and started singing (loudly!). She sings often and is not afraid to sing whenever, wherever! It made me giggle as I was talking to the lady at the jail/counter to hear her singing her songs. Remember that song from The King and I? Whistle a Happy Tune? Well, Chasity doesn't whistle when she's afraid--she Sings--but hey if it works and keeps her from being "Wild Child from Borneo" I don't mind!
1 comment:
I am praying for this child and what she is going through/has been through. I was and am still so blessed to have a stable childhood, and never without a doubt that I would be taken care of. I can't imagine the feeling of "being left" or the instability. Love this girl. I would like to hear about how this "all came to pass" with you guys, i.e. process of deciding to become guardians, etc. Like the day we saw you guys at El Sombrero, I was clueless that you even hardly knew her! Praying for your home also.
Post a Comment