Monday, February 18, 2008

Entire Attention

We've had another crazy weekend. Friday night at the ER. Saturday a floor hockey game, Uno slammed his finger in the van door--causing it to turn a nice hue of blue immediately, travel south to a fun evening out with the family for the February birthday's. Sunday time at my sister's house with her family (always a good time with 5 little boys and 3 dogs!), then home again late last night.
I've been mulling over the ER episode Friday night and trying to figure out how I can convey to Uno the necessity of not allowing worry to run your life and ruin your thoughts. The hospital called while we were gone yesterday to tell us that Uno's strep culture came back positive. (only 5% of rapid streps turn positive later, says my Nurse Practicioner Sister in law! That would be our statistic!) So, we've been exposing everyone for the last 6 days since the sore throat began. Sweet! :) Anyway, back to worry. Uno has this thing that he's always got way more to worry about that I think realisitically possible for someone whose 9 1/2 years old. My sister who is married to an Italian says there must be some Italian in his lineage, because he's worrying like an Italian. (For the record, I don't think that there is any Italian in our family tree on either side..lots of German-Irish-whatever else!) So I just looked up Matthew 6:34 in The Message because I thought it might communicate better to the boy... "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. " I'm going to tatoo it to his little forehead. When I read it to him he was immediately calmer. So, I'm going to keep reading it to him as we're heading back to the dr. this afternoon.
It's got me thinking though, "Your entire attention to what God is doing right now"...hmmm...that could lead me to do a little self-examination on my part too! What IS God doing right now? This past week has been a nutty one, even by our standards. But even through the nuttyness I am well aware that He is at work in our lives.


  • protection in this wacky week of malady

  • re-connecting relationships that have fallen off through time/space/distance, some in supernatural ways that are just amazing!

  • motivating me to evaluate my priorities in my life and begin pruning away the things that aren't good for me.

  • increasing my awareness in listening to that still, small voice

  • helping me be more thankful for my family and especially my husband

I am going to work at this "entire attention" thing. Set aside my ADD tendencies and give my enitre attention to what He's doing in my life. For some reason that sounds relaxing!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I'm reading - AND enjoying it! :)